- ½ cup - Moong dal / Cherupayar Parippu
- 1 cup - Water
- 1 cup - Sharkara Pav / Jaggery melted in water and thickened
- ½ cup - Thick coconut milk (Onnampaal)
- 2 cups - Thin coconut milk (Randampaal+moonampaal)
- 1/2 tsp - Cardamom powder
- 1/2 tsp - Dry ginger powder / chukku podi
- 2 tbsp - Ghee
- 10-12 - Cashewnuts and Raisins
- Handful of Thengakottu/chopped Coconut slices
- Traditionally this dish is to be made in a uruli(huge, flat vessel made of bronze) but coz of the unavailability have to go for a pressure cooker. :( So heat the pressure cooker and dry roast the Moong dal, till the flavor of the dal comes out. Empty it on to a plate and let it cool completely. Add the water and pressure cook it till soft.
- Once the cooker is opened, add the melted jaggery into the dal and keep stirring on low flame, till it becomes nice and thick.
- Add the thin milk into the misture. Keep stirring and bring it to boil. When the bubbles come, simmer the heat and add the thick milk and again bring it to boil on low flame. Keep stirring continuously.
- Add the cardamom powder and dry ginger powder and mix well. Garnish with cashewnuts, raisins and coconut pieces roasted in ghee.
- Serve with papadam and pazham!!