Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Karimeen Varuthathu or Fried Pearlspot

This weekend was a very very happy weekend because this is was the first time we got naadan fish, karimeen(pearl spot) here. Otherwise we always get the local fish, which i do not adore much. I always use to browse through the other blogs which wrote about karimeen, aila and mathi and used to feel jealous that why in the whole world am I not able to eat those fishes!!
Karimeen is one of my fav fishes.. Nothing can beat it for its earthy flavor, for the very Kerala flavor. And the taste of our very own fresh ginger, green peppercorns and coconut oil makes it just perfect!! There was a time when I used to hate the smell of coconut oil. I could not stand the taste of it. But as I grew up I started enjoying its flavor. Now most of my naadan cooking is next to impossible without coconut oil.
Ingredients:
  • 3 Medium sized - Pearl spot / Karimeen
  • Coconut Oil to fry

For the marinade:

  • 1 - medium sized Onion
  • 2 sprigs - Curry leaves
  • 1" piece - Ginger
  • 2 tsp - Green / Black peppercorns
  • 1 tbsp - Red Chilly powder
  • 1 tsp - Turmeric powder
  • salt to taste
Method:

  • Roughly grind all the ingredient to make a paste. Need not be a smooth paste.
  • Clean and score the fish and smear the masala on to the fish and refrigerate for atleast an hour
  • Heat a pan with coconut oil in it and fry the fish till both the sides are golden brown in color. Because the masala is a little coarse there are all chances that the masala can get burnt. But you can avoid that if you fry the fish on low flame and carefully wait and watch!!
  • Serve hot. I feel it can be a full meal on its own for me.. I do not need anything to ruin the divinely flavour :)

5 comments:

Pravs said...

looks so very delicious !!

Divz said...

it really was delicious...my hubby was elated at the sight of it..it was the first time, that in hyderabad we got karimeen...and it was almost 6 mths since we had karimeen...

Mishmash ! said...

Ho Karimeen varuthathu! when do i get to eat this again?????

Joy said...

Hi Divz... where did you buy the Karimeen from? raw or cooked?.. I would love to get some raw karimeen in Hyd..

Divz said...

hi joy...
we either buy it from reliance - delight(the non veg counter at reliance fresh) at attapur outlet or from gudimalkapur market..if u r lucky u can spot big and very fresh ones there at just Rs.120/kg on sundays