Monday, July 7, 2008

Chicken Curry

I very well remember that I made chicken curry for the first time in my life when I was around 12-13 year old. It was during one of those summer holidays which I spent at my uncles place when my cousin sister and I for a change ventured into the kitchen. She, I must say, knew a lot of cooking when compared to me those days!! Come on, now how can u expect somebody in their early teens to be interested in cooking when there are so many other exciting things in the world to venture!! ;)
So yeah, this chicken curry is the simplest one and very yummy too!!
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 kg - Curry cut chicken pieces
  • Oil (Quantity depends upon you, more oil-more tasty, less oil-more healthy)
  • Cloves(4 nos), Cardomom(2 nos), Cinamon(1" stick), Bay leaf(1 No), Fennel/saunf(1/2 tsp)
  • 2 - large onions, chopped
  • Coriander powder(3 tsp), Chilly powder(2 tsp), Turmeric powder(1 tsp) - make a paste of all these by mixing some water
  • 1 - Tomato
  • 2 tsp - Ginger garlic paste
  • Water
  • Salt
  • 2 sprigs - Curry leaves
  • Handful of coriander leaves

For marination:

  • 1 tbsp - Ginger garlic paste
  • 1 tsp - pepper powder
  • 2 tsp - Red chilly powder
  • 1 tsp - turmeric powder
  • 1 tsp - Lime juice
Method:
  • Marinate the chicken for 1 hour with all the masala.
  • Heat oil in pressure cooker. Saute in all the spices.
  • Add the onion and saute. When golden brown add the ginger garlic paste and the wet masala paste and saute. Add the tomato and saute till oil separates. Add the fresh curry leaves too.
  • Empty the marinated chicken and pressure cook till done. I generally allow 2-3 whistle to come.
  • Garnish with coriander and serve hot with pathiri, appam or roti.

4 comments:

SZri said...

i like the tea pot in the pic,it is a t pot,ain't it ?ha

Divz said...

yep...thats a chinese tea pot!!

SZri said...

u prefer the "more tasty" option to the " more healthy" one huh,ha,kollam.

Dr. Reaps said...

you shud post more