Thursday, June 5, 2008

Bottle Gourd Raita (Lauki Raita)


Lauki raita is one of my favorite form of curd. Raitas are always so cooling and soothening but when it is enriched with something which has amazing medicinal values what more do you need. This dish is another Bihari dish which I had at my Bihari neighbours place. Now at the first instance I never was able to guess what the light green grated vegetable in the raita was. I had been thinking it is cucumber coz I never imagined lauki in a raita. Let me tell you, anyone who doesnt like eating lauki in its original form would relish this dish. This is another instance of camouflaging.

Ingredients:

  • 2 Cups - Curd or Yogurt
  • 1 cup -Grated Bottle gourd or lauki
  • 1tsp - Cumin powder (dry roasted and powdered)
  • 2 tsp - Coriander leaves, very finely chopped
  • 1-2 nos - Green chillies, finely chopped
  • 1 tsp - Black salt or kala namak

Method:

  • Boil grated lauki till soft. Cool it and squeeze off the excess water.
  • Beat the curd, add the lauki and mix well.
  • Add black salt, cumin powder, coriander leaves, green chillies and mix well. Add salt if required. Keep in refrigerator for an hour. Serve chilled.

No comments: