Thursday, February 5, 2009

Unakka Chemmeen Varuthathu or Dry Prawns Fry


"Chorum, rasavum pinne kurachu unakka chemmeen varuthathum ondakil pinne vere onnum venda... :) " meaning if there is rice, rasam and fried dry prawns then there is nothing more to ask for!! This was a very common dialogue at my place. I still remember how my brother and I along with my mother used to wait to have this combination for lunch. (as dry prawns was banned at home by our father) My father, had and i guess still has a strong aversion towards the smell that comes while frying dry prawns. On one hand we used to agree with him that it has a very peculiar smell and the whole neighbourhood would come to know that you are frying dried prawns but on the other hand we used to grieve on it!! So whenever Papa went on for an official tour or so, it would be party time for us. It was a fixed menu and my brother would take his bicycle and rush to that one shop near our home, which used to keep dried prawns in small packets and hang it on a hanger along with various home-made achaar packets.

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup - Dry prawns, cleaned (ideal for 2 people)
  • 1 - Large Onion, chopped
  • 2 sprigs of curry leaf
  • 1 tbsp - Oil, preferably coconut oil
  • 1/2 tsp - Red chilly powder
  • salt to taste(if required)

Method:

  • Heat a pan or kadhai. In the meantime, quickly rinse the prawns in water and drain out all the excess water and put it into the hot pan. Saute till all the water has evaporated.
  • When the prawns is free of water, add half the quanity of chopped onion and curry leaves.
  • Pour the oil and saute it on medium heat till the onions turn light brown. At this stage add the rest of the onion and curry leaf. Add salt if required. As salt is put while drying the prawns, check whether you really need to add salt or not.
  • Fry till the prawns and the first set of onions get crispy. The second set of onions would be a little less done but thats what make it special. If the entire quantity of onion is browned there are chances of the dish tasting burnt.
  • Add the chilly powder just 1 minute before you turn off the gas. Mix well till the raw smell is gone.
  • Serve hot with rice

Note:
Have fried dry prawns in limited quanity. If consumed in large quanity it can upset your tummy.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Divz,i had this one from one of my friends house..truly awesome..

Vikis Kitchen said...

yes , Divz dry fish is always a pleasant food for me. May seem weird for many (like my hubby), but nothing can beat this rasam choru combo:)

Tina said...

hmmmm perfect dish.....kidilam....

Malar Gandhi said...

I agree chorum, rasamum, unakku chemmeen varuthathum undegil pinne onnum venda...aah, I may not be good with malayalam...but sure agree with the saying so much.

Btn...guess you left some comments at my blog?! Maybe in one of my older posts! Thanks for those sweet words, I truly appreciate it. But still don't know on which post, still searching!:))

lubnakarim06 said...

These small delicacies are super hit in my family. I never fried them but i usually combine them with Rigid gourd.

mathew said...

yeah so true..the smell would declare itself in the whole neighbourhood..and the reason why I didnt get a pack back during the trip home..i love it though!!

Nima said...

oh...i love this....it's my favorite too

Anonymous said...

This goes excellently with a mug of beer. Thanks a lot. This dish will soon be a regular in our Sunday night booze party.

Mina said...

this is so eery!! i was thnking of what to do for dinner as i have rasam from yday. didnt want to do anything elaborate as dont want anything carry forwarded to tomorrow as i have other plans. Took out a pkt of dried shrimps i have and put it to soak and then thought, would this combo work? the way you make it is how we have it at home too, but i was wondering if i should opt for smthg else. but the first blog i take i get this line thrown at me --Chorum, rasavum pinne kurachu unakka chemmeen varuthathum ondakil pinne vere onnum venda...

I guess after today, we might also say this!!
your dish looks mouthwatering.. thanks for saving todays dinner :D

SONICCC said...

Div...

This was awesome!! I just tried it to impress my girlfriend and she loved it! She was so much struck and was asking me where I got this recipe!Its so yummy too...

Thanks a ton!

Sony