The procedure is simple but patience pays off!!
- 1/2 cup - Black Chana / Kadala, soaked over night and pressure cooked till soft
- 1/4 cup - Yam/Chena, diced
- 1/4 cup - Raw Banana/pachakaya, peeled and diced
- 2 - 3 - Green chillies
- 1/2 tsp - Red Chilly powder
- 1" piece - Ginger
- 1 clove - Garlic
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsbp - Coconut Oil
- 1/2 tsp - Mustard seeds
- 2 - Dry red chillies
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- Handful of shallots, sliced
- 1/2-3/4 cup of grated coconut
- Cook the boiled chana, yam, raw banana along with green chillies, red chilly powder, ginger, garlic and salt till soft. Note: This was the first time I made kootu curry with out anyones help. So I accidentally put turmeric powder coz of which it was more of yellow colored. Make sure you avoid turmeric or else put very little amount.
- Heat a kadhai with coconut oil and slutter the mustard seeds. Put the red chillies, curry leaves, shallots and grated coconut and roast on medium flame till it gives out the flavour and the coconut is brown in color. The more you roast the coconut without burning, the better it looks and tastes.
- Add the cooked veges and chana into this masala and mix well till its coated well with the masala. Dash some coconut oil for added flavour if required.