Friday, March 20, 2009

Moong Dal Tadka

This post has been in my drafts for so long, that today I decided that its high time I post it or else it would never happen. Not in great writing spirits because of various reasons. One major reason being an apartment shifting due next weekend.. Packing, disposing off the waste, paying all dues and above all leaving behind couple of good friends here is very painful. However, one thing I am sure of carrying over to the new place is a lot of anxiety and apprehension about the new locality and the people I would meet!!


Ingredients:

  • 1 cup - Moong Dal(whole or split), washed and soaked for 1 hour
  • Salt to taste
  • 1/4 - 1/2 tsp - Asafoetida powder (adjust according to your taste)
  • 1 tbsp - Oil
  • 1/2 tsp - Cumin seeds
  • 1/2 - Onion, sliced
  • 2-3 nos - Green Chillies, chopped
  • 1 - Tomato, chopped
  • Some coriander leaves for garnish
Method:
  • Pressure cook the washed and soaked dal till soft with required water, salt and asafoetida
  • Heat a kadhai with 1 tbsp of oil and splutter the cumin seeds. Saute in the onions till golden brown. Add the green chillies and tomatoes and saute till soft.
  • Add the turmeric powder and saute for 2 minutes
  • Now add the cooked dal into the kadhai and bring it to boil and simmer till you get the right consistency.
  • Garnish with some butter(optional) and coriander leaves.
  • Serve hot with rotis

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

However long in the draft,DIvz,tadaka is still on spreading aroma..what a wonderful click there !!

Vani said...

I love whole moong. This curry looks delish, Divz!

Trupti said...

Moong Daal Tadka looks very delicious DIVZ

Anonymous said...

Looks great. I love this unhusked moong!

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

after seeing ur dhal picture, i decided to make it today for lunch.. but i am making green moong :) looks delicious.

mathew said...

looks nice..usually i do it with toor dal..i think i ll try this for a change...dal curry is a lifeline for me..

Varsha Vipins said...

yummm..its best with Puttu..:)

Varsha Vipins said...

Btw,My feed not updating in reader's page,sobs..:( ,pls chck my new post n pick the award ..:)
happy weeekend dear..:)

Mishmash ! said...

packing kazhinjo? all the best unpacking too.. :P

Manju said...

that dal is just too good and simple..a change to regular toor dal tadka!

Priya dharshini said...

Hi
I liked ur blog...so,i added ur blog link in my blog
ThanQ
Priya

Unknown said...

happy shifting Divz :) and all the best for your new house!!

Malar Gandhi said...

Moong dal ki tadka looks perfect and delish!! Have a safe shifting...

Bhavana said...

Hey Divz,

Not heard from u for a long time

Unknown said...

Hi there,

The dal looks mouthwatering..thanks for the post...

Ann said...

Hi my first visist here.. so many yummmy recipes here.. Thanks for sharing..

Swapna said...

Dal curry looks delicious & yummy.

Srikitchen said...

wow! looks yum n delicious!

Sindhura said...

Sounds yummy!!!!
Drop in sometime Divz

One Word Expression said...

It is really a much delicious recipe. I tried it from your method to cook.

http://myerecipecorner.blogspot.com said...

All your recipes are yummy treat!

mathew said...

Moong dal adichu thudangittu kore naalu aayi!!;-P

Unknown said...

Hi Divz

How are you? Hope you're settled at the new place. Waiting to see new post :)

Unknown said...

Hey Divz, me again :) Some awards are waiting for you at m place. Please do collect it :)

Mishmash ! said...

Congrats divz... :)
am sure u re enjoying the most beautiful moments of life these days .... My kisses to ur little girl and hugs to u :)

Srikitchen said...

wow! its looking so good!
join with us in the EFM - Mutton Series and for more details, check out this URL:

http://www.srishkitchen.com/2009/12/efm-mutton-series.html

Divz said...

thanks to all...

mathew cheta - inniyum kurachu naal kudi moong dal kazhikendivarum!! busy with my baby who was born in nov end..

maria - lots of changes in my life..blessed with a baby girl in nov end..so away from blogging for some time..btw thanks for ur awards

shn - thanks a ton for ur wishes..

Divz said...

thanks to all...

mathew cheta - inniyum kurachu naal kudi moong dal kazhikendivarum!! busy with my baby who was born in nov end..

maria - lots of changes in my life..blessed with a baby girl in nov end..so away from blogging for some time..btw thanks for ur awards

shn - thanks a ton for ur wishes..

PranisKitchen said...

Its my first time to ur blog..Nice work..What happened to you,no new post for long time...Hope to see u soon with lots of new recipes ...

Sorin said...

This sounds wonderful. I'm going to have to try it.

Anonymous said...

I seldom leave comments on blog, but I have been to this post which was recommend by my friend, lots of valuable details, thanks again.

Srikitchen said...

looks yummy!
regards,
Srilekha
http://www.srishkitchen.com/