So we decided that why not celebrate it on our own in our small home, eating good food, shopping and by watching the special Malayalam movies telecasted on TV :)!! The thought that no one is going to gift us a bottle of wine and fruit cake made me make the favorite Christmas time must have, the fruit cake.. I have my mom's version which doesnt need any liquor like rum or brandy. (We never used liquor in our fruit cakes because we never had anyone who drinks!!) And moreover when the final product tastes as good as a cake with liquor, what is the need to add something which is anyways not so good for your health!!
- 250 gms - All purpose flour
- 225 gms - Sugar powder
- 200 gms - Butter, at room temperature
- 250 gms - Mixed dry fruits (Golden raisins, Black currants, Dates, Glaced cherries, Cashewnuts, Almonds)
- 20 gms - Candied orange rind
- 1.5 tsp - Mixed spice powder(cinnamon, cloves, caraway seeds(shahjeera))
- 1 tsp - Baking powder
- 3 Nos - Eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tsp - Vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup - Sugar
- 1/4 cup- Water
- Heat a deep pan, put 1/2 cup of sugar into it and let it melt. Do not stir at this point. When its starts browning stir occasionally and when it comes to a boil switch of the gas and shift the pan into the sink and slowly, pour the 1/4 cup of water into the pan and stir. Empty this into a bowl and allow it to cool.
- Sieve flour, baking powder and spice powder.
- Chop all the dry fruits and add to the sifted flour mixture and mix well and keep aside. If this process is skipped, the fruits will settle down on the bottom after baking
- Grease a butter paper and insert into a lightly greased cake tin. I opted for a round tin.
- Preheat the oven at 180° C
- Beat butter and sugar powder until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time with vanilla essence and beat well.
- Add the caramel syrup and mix well.
- Now fold the flour into the butter-egg mixture and mix well.
- Empty the batter into the tin and keep it into the preheated oven and bake it for minimum 45 minutes. Insert a toothpick and check if done. If the toothpick comes out clean, then take it off the oven and let it cool.
- Serve with home made sweet wine if available.